XP calculations

Ask questions, find answers. Can't figure out the control or game mechanics? Got technical issues? Ask here.
Quizer

XP calculations

Postby Quizer » Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:40 pm

How is XP calculated? This is another area where I feel the game could stand to be more transparent. At the end of the mission, I get some arbitrary-seeming amount of XP for waves killed, for perfect waves, and for civilians saved. Oh, and also for calling waves early, but the game does in no way tell you that is even a thing, or that XP is your reward for clicking that little arrow button on the wave bar.

Also, how is XP split between characters? Is it according to participation? Does merely being present on the map give a character a full share of XP, or does it matter what they do, or how many monsters they kill? If someone just stands in an orb shrine for the entire mission, are they awarded XP for that? If I use fewer characters on a map, do the ones I do use get more XP than if I had used all of them?

I'm the kind of player who prefers all characters to be the same level, which is another reason why the "use only one character" challenges don't really appeal to me (on top of the fact that they're simply unrewarding and excessively difficult, especially considering the specialization mechanic where each character is best at killing one enemy type and kind of sucks at killing anything else. It takes a lot of raw power to overcome that disadvantage... but I digress.) But I like getting lots of XP even more, and am willing to compromise on the first goal to achieve the second. But when I see the end of mission tally, the XP number displayed there doesn't seem very helpful, and I rarely pay much attention to it. Instead I watch the characters' XP bars go up.

I feel it would be helpful to have the end of mission summary actually break down different sources of XP for you instead of adding it all to the same tally. When it stops counting, you should be able see at a glance what things earned you how much XP, so you can tell what you did right and what you did wrong. It would also be nice to be able to mouse over the XP bars of the characters and get a tooltip saying how many points they need to level up, in a XXXX/YYYYY type of format, or something. Don't hide all this stuff from the players!

Carionis

Re: XP calculations

Postby Carionis » Fri Feb 19, 2016 3:27 pm

I have to +1 this. Completely!

I also hate not having the data. It wouldn't have to be present all the time, but having somewhere in the game to look for it would be nice.

Frypster

Postby Frypster » Fri Feb 19, 2016 11:04 pm

I also agree with Quizer, very nice post here.

Some more information about the XP gained and how would be so nice. Also whats the difference between the normal xp and the insane xp gained?

Also a good point Quizer mentioned are the rewards for the challenges. I just did them because I wanted to have them all but sometimes I was only able to complete them on lower difficulties due to the high variation of different monster you encounter on higher difficulties though lower loot. There are some levels you can just rush through later on and they feel much more rewarding to me than doing challenges over and over again.

Maybe change the rewards for challenges to +%xp and other things you can maybe add (items? better loot? dunno :-))

Quizer

Postby Quizer » Fri Feb 19, 2016 11:45 pm

Frypster wrote:Also a good point Quizer mentioned are the rewards for the challenges. I just did them because I wanted to have them all but sometimes I was only able to complete them on lower difficulties due to the high variation of different monster you encounter on higher difficulties though lower loot. There are some levels you can just rush through later on and they feel much more rewarding to me than doing challenges over and over again.)

Another thing about challenges - shouldn't the game keep track of what challenges you completed at each difficulty level? At the moment, it doesn't seem like it matters whether I do a challenge on Campaign difficulty or Challenging, either way it will display the skull or bat wings on the banner if I succeed. I think it should track each level separately / track the highest level you completed a challenge at.

Frypster

Postby Frypster » Fri Feb 19, 2016 11:48 pm

Need upvote button ! :idea: :ugeek:

Carionis

Postby Carionis » Sat Feb 20, 2016 8:38 am

:!: +1 want to upvote, too!

Eggility

Postby Eggility » Sat Feb 20, 2016 11:39 am

you always get the same amount if you do the same map - the exp is always 65xxx for all 50 waves insane Count map
you dont want to to have all chars the same level at the moment you want jack 7 levels ahead of the rest (jack is full skilled at 68 the rest at 61)
exp is only split between active chars if you dont place a char he gets 0 exp - havnt tried out yet what happens if you place them late but i would say my wylde is 3 levels ahead of the rest (i always place him first) so its feels like a wave depending split between all active heros

[HT]Kevin
Game Designer

Postby [HT]Kevin » Mon Feb 22, 2016 12:04 pm

Eggility got the current system right.

As to the more transparency issue - yes we have a re-work of the feedback on the victory screen on our list, thanks for the feedback!

Return to “Support”