Difficulty ratings

Provide feedback to our game designers. Is the game too easy or too hard? Is someting boring or frustrating? Is there a game mechanic that you like particularly?
Quizer

Difficulty ratings

Postby Quizer » Fri Feb 12, 2016 6:52 pm

Could you add some kind of difficulty ratings to the maps on their various difficulty settings? I have all these maps available and I'm at a loss as to which of these I should play to grind resources, which of these are level-appropriate to my heroes and will give me a good balance of difficulty versus reward, etc. It's also pretty hard to gauge when you are ready for a higher difficulty level. It would be nice to be able to look at a map during map selection and see a rough indicator of how strong the enemies are, how many waves, and so on.

It would also be great if you could see the path layout in advance, if that can be made possible without entering the map and waiting out the loading time.

[HT]Kevin
Game Designer

Re: Difficulty ratings

Postby [HT]Kevin » Mon Feb 15, 2016 10:50 am

You should see an indicator of how hard it will be for you above the difficulty stars (where it says "No Problem", "Doable", "Challenging" or "Impossible") - these indicators should roughly tell you how hard the map will be for you.

You can see a preview of the map on the worldmap itself - tough it is a bit hard to see where the barricade is and the entrances are, thats true - we can look into improving this - Rule of thumb usually is that the barricade is on the end closer to the village ;)

Quizer

Re: Difficulty ratings

Postby Quizer » Mon Feb 15, 2016 11:09 pm

Yeah, I kinda forgot about the difficulty ratings that are already there, because they don't seem terribly reliable. If it says "No Problem", that does not usually mean I can just breeze through the map with half-assed gameplay. If it says "Challenging", that means I better get stronger before I even try this. "Impossible" means I'm just out of my league even more than that.

As for the maps, I knew you can see the layout from the world map, but what you really need to be able to see is the paths, since they change between difficulty levels, at least some of the time. Some layouts favor the player more than others, and a path layout that is convenient for the player is a big factor in selecting which map to (re-)play.

Speaking of barricades, when you do a challenge that requires you not to let any townspeople get hurt, barricades appear in front of their houses, to indicate that you should not allow enemies to get this far. However, these barricades have the number 5 on them, when really you are not allowed to let even one enemy touch the barricade.

Return to “Game Design”